Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and having a healthy breakfast means you and your kid will have an excellent day. Doctors and experts advise having breakfast within 1 to 2 hours of waking up. The first meal of the day typically provides 25-30% of nutritional requirements of a person. Usually, children complain of having to eat same breakfast items over and over again. So you can try different egg recipes for breakfast.
To help you cook a nutritious meal for your teenagers and kids, we have come up with some of the best breakfast recipes that you can prepare without scratching your head every morning. You can even prepare them at night to serve breakfast quickly in the morning.
Breakfast ideas and recipes for kids
1. Moong Dal Cheela:
Healthy and wholesome, the protein rich moong dal cheela or green gram dosa is a perfect breakfast for your kids. Serve it with green or peanut chutney with milk.
- To begin making Moong Dal Cheela Recipe, soak the moong dal in water for a 5 to 6 hours or preferably overnight.
- Once soaked, using a grinder, coarsely grind the moong dal with a very little water to make a thick batter.
- Once done, remove the moong dal cheela batter into a mixing bowl, add other ingredients like rice flour, coriander leaves, green chillies, ginger and garlic, salt, red chilli powder, garam masala powder and flax seed powder. Mix everything well.
- The batter should be thick pouring consistency. Check the salt and adjust to suit according to taste.
- Place a tawa on medium heat, add a few teaspoons of oil. Once the oil is hot, add two heapful tablespoons of the moong dal cheela batter on the tawa.
- Quickly spread it using the back of a spoon and let the moong dal cheela cook for a minute or two or till the bottom of the cheela turns golden brown. Flip the moong dal cheela and cook other side of the cheela too.
- Remove the Moong Dal Cheela on an absorbent sheet or kitchen towel to absorb the excess oil. Use the moong dal cheela batter in a similar way to make more cheelas. Once done, it is ready to be served.
- Serve Moong Dal Cheela Recipe along with Tomato Chutney or Capsicum Chutney Recipe for a wonderful and healthy North Indian Style breakfast and also an Indian Diabetic Breakfast.
2. Besan ka Cheela:
This recipe brings a lot of memories of our childhood days as it can be quickly prepared. Add some vegetables to the batter to make it more nutritious. Besan is usually gram or chana flour and it is rich in protein as well as energy. This is one of the quick Indian breakfast items for the morning. Serve it to your child with curd or tomato chutney.
- Put the besan in a bowl.
- Add tomatoes and onions, green chillies, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander leaves and salt. Mix well.
- Add water and make a batter.
- Heat a pan. Once hot, add a teaspoon of oil.
- When the oil is hot, pour in one spoonful of batter and spread it out like how you would an omelette.
- Fry until it’s golden in colour and you start seeing bubbles on the top.
- Slowly flip it and fry the other side.
- Remove it from the pan. Serve with curd or chutney.
3. Ragi Cheela:
This cheela or Dosa is made from Ragi/ wheat flour. It is rich in calcium and can be prepared quickly. Prepare the batter of desired consistency and pour it on Tawa. Add some ghee or oil on Tawa and flip the cheela. Serve it hot with curd.
- In a mixing bowl, add ragi and besan flour.
- Add all vegetables of your choice.
- Add ginger garlic chilli paste.
- Add all dry spices and salt.
- Add sesame seeds.
- Add curd. Add water mix well.
- Keep it aside for 30 min. ( optional )
- Spread a scoop of better evenly on hot non-stick tawa.
- Spread some oil.
- Cover and cook. Flip when cooked.
- Again coven and cook till done. Same way prepare all chilla.
- Serve hot Ragi Besan Chilla with green chutney.
BREAD & BREAKFAST IDEAS
4. Healthy Pav Bhaji with beetroot:
Prepare Bhaji with as many vegetables as you can without adding any color. Now see your child gobble them up. Serve it hot with wheat bread or Pavs.
- Pressure cook all vegetables ( potatoes, cauliflower, pumpkin, beans, beetroot, peas capsicum and any other vegetable, except capsicum and peas) with a little salt till well-cooked.
- Mash using potato masher and keep aside.
- In a heavy bottomed pan or kadhai, heat oil.
- Add cumin seeds till they crackle.
- Add chopped onion till translucent.
- Add capsicum and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and peas fry till soft.
- Now add salt and pav bhaji masala and fry well, till oil separates.
- Now add the cooked and mashed vegetables and mix well.
- Cook till moisture evaporates.
- Finally add butter and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and squeeze a lemon.
- Serve the bhaji with buttered pav.
5. Grilled cheese sandwich:
Teenagers and kids love cheese. Most of them love to have it with all the meals offered. Try this grilled sandwich with a filling of vegetables like capsicum, carrot and corn with some extra cheese.
6. Egg and salad sandwich:
Lots of parents prefer their child to have eggs for their breakfast. It is rich in protein and offers good boost in morning. Pair egg with some healthy vegetables and bread to make the filling of bread egg sandwich. It is one of the best egg recipes for breakfast for kids.
7. Half egg fry with bread:
This is one of the quickest Indian breakfast items and is very nutritious too. Pour some oil over a pan and break eggs on it. Don’t let the egg yellow break and cook it till it is semi-cooked. Remove half a fried egg from the pan and serve it with cooked bread with butter. Half egg fry with bread is one of the best breakfasts that are loved by kids, teenagers and youngsters too.
8. Methi Paratha
Methi Parathas are delicious to eat and the best breakfast to have in the morning. Prepare methi dough in night and it will hardly take 5 minutes to make Paratha. Serve it with a bowl of curd.
- Firstly, take a mixing bowl, into it, add wheat flour into it.
- Add methi leaves into it, add coriander leaves and mix them with a spatula.
- Add salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander seeds powder, ginger garlic paste, carom seeds(ajwain).
- Add green chillies into it and oil.
- Mix everything well.
- Gradually add water and knead into a smooth dough.
- Rest aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small/medium size portions.
- Take a small/medium portion of the dough.
- Take a rolling board and dust some flour on it.
- Roll the dough like a circular chapathi.
- Heat the tawa and place the paratha on it.
- Cook the down side of the methi paratha on medium flame for few seconds.
- Flip the paratha and oil/ghee all over the roti.
- Flip it again and apply oil on the other side.
- Flip and press the roti well on all sides with a spatula.
- Similarly press paratha on the other side and cook well.
- Serve it hot with any vegetable gravy or curry.
- Continue making parathas with the rest of the dough portions and serve hot!!!
You can also try out Potato Paratha, Gajar Paratha, Gobhi Paratha and Beetroot Paratha for the healthy mornings.
You can also try some Idlis, Soya Tikkis/Chaap, Bread Omelette, Dhokla, Egg Paratha, and Milk Shakes for the kids. Try out some smoothies for the busy mornings. Share your experiences and quick breakfast recipe videos with all.