Home » Weight Loss Tips: Choosing the Best Weight Loss Program 2020
The Need for Choosing the Best Weight Loss Programs
The continued rise in lifestyle diseases indicated the immediate need for choosing the best weight loss program that works in 2019
Data from the CDC indicates that the prevalence of obesity between 2015 and 2016 was 39.8%.
Specifically, over 93 million adults in the U.S. were obese during this period.
Obesity is a dangerous and potentially lethal condition that can lead to type-2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and certain types of cancer.
This disease also places huge monetary costs on governments and tax payers.
In 2008, the annual medical cost for people with obesity was $147 billion.
Individual medical costs for people with obesity was $1,429 more than that of people with average weight.
Choosing the right weight loss program helps people to shed excessive body fat, thereby avoiding many of these problems.
For normal-weight people, weight loss diet plans and programs can also help them to remain fit and healthy.
Studies have also found a relationship between healthy diets, physical exercise, and mental health.
Selecting an appropriate weight loss program will also help you maintain your sanity and lead a happy life.
Tips for Choosing the Best Weight Loss Program or Diet Plan
The body of publicly available information on weight loss is overwhelming.
Most of the available information advocates for low-carb diets, super-foods, lots of proteins, or dietary supplements.
While these foods that may help you shed weight may be scientifically-backed, they ignore individual differences that may make the advice ineffective for some people.
Further, achieving permanent weight loss requires deeper understanding of the nature of your body than mere consumption of weight loss diets.
So, how do you decide which method will work best for you?
See the following tips;
- Ask a lot of questions
The goal of a suitable weight loss program or diet program for weight loss in 2019 should be to help you gain and maintain an appropriate weight and remain fit in the long term.
Consulting your physician should be the first step when making any significant lifestyle changes, including joining weight loss programs.
Organize a special visit to your doctor and ask questions regarding your weight.
This may not be easy for some people. In such cases, you should compile a list of questions before the visit, and practice talking about it.
The following list outlines some of the possible questions you can discuss;
- What strategy would work best for me? Options may include hiring a nutritionist or subscribing to a weight loss program?
- Which are the best eating habits?
- The recommended weight loss diets would you recommend?
- Which physical exercises can help me reach my goal? How often should I exercise?
An important tip is to remember to write down all the questions you might want to ask.
Take as many notes as you can to help you commit the advice to long-term memory.
Also, do not hesitate to reveal as much accurate information as possible to help your doctor make informed decisions.
Important information to ask;
- Healthy and unhealthy BMI levels
- Health benefits of weight loss or the potential weight-related health complications
- The potential effects of specific medical conditions, medications, and therapies on weight loss/gain
- Appropriate dietary plans for weight loss
- Healthy amounts of physical exercise
- Assess your personal needs
Anyone can lose weight, but what works for you may not work for someone else.
Losing weight and maintaining it in the long term depends on a number of factors, including lifestyle choices, preferences, goals, and choosing the right weight loss program or diet plan.
You should aim to customize the available plans to your needs.
To do so, you need to be well aware of those needs in the first place.
Things to consider here include;
- Preferences – can you do this on your own or will you need support? If you need support, what kind would it be? One-on-one or online support?
- Diet – what diet plans for weight loss have you ever tried? Did they work? What did you like or didn’t like about them? Were you disciplined enough to follow them? How did they make you feel? Did you pay attention to meal timing?
- Budget – can you afford to sustain the weight loss program without putting dents in your pocket? Here, you should factor in costs such as clinic visits, support meetings, dietary supplements, and meals.
- Health conditions – people with health conditions such as heart disease, allergies, or diabetes should not engage in certain programs
- Others – ethnic or cultural requirements
3. Choose the best, safest, and most effective weight loss program or diet that works in 2019
Armed with this new information from the physician, the next step should be identifying, evaluating, and selecting the best weight loss program that works.
Do not be swayed solely by the amount of scientific evidence supporting a particular plan or the number of success stories.
Most programs out there will help you lose weight, but you will surely regain it just as fast if they are not sound and healthy.
Basically, the most appropriate plan is the one that helps you cut back on the number of calories you consume while pushing you to be more active, physically.
But that does not mean you have to starve yourself!
Key aspects of an effective weight loss program or diet program for weight loss that works in 2019
- Includes a healthy amount of exercise
- Promotes slow and steady progress
- Includes meals from all food groups
- Advocates portion control
- Is based on scientific evidence
- Places little significance on supplements
- Does not entirely eliminate snacking between meals
- Enhances constant hydration
- Does not force you to discard your favorite beverages and foods
- Specifies a plan to maintain your new weight
- Should emphasize issues such as enough sleep, stress management, and the effects (positive and negative) of weight loss medications
- Includes lifestyle counselling to help you develop and maintain healthy eating habits and physical exercise
- Has platforms for ongoing feedback, support, and monitoring
Whether a program is offered in-person or online, you should compare it against this checklist and select the one with the majority of these factors.
The best weight loss program can only be safe and healthy if it advocates slow and steady progress.
Experts advocate for about 0.2 to 0.9 kilograms (0.5 to 2 pounds) weekly.
Rapid weight can also be safe, but it has to be supervised by a qualified medical practitioner or nutritionist.
More importantly, weight loss can only be successful if you are committed to adjusting your lifestyle.
Behavior modification typically includes changing your eating habits, exercising frequently, and quitting unhealthy behavior, such as excessive alcohol and smoking.
You should also consider;
- Potential risks
- Qualifications and certifications of the plan’s creators and/or organization’s staff members
Features of the best weight loss program 2019
- Nutritional balance – the preferred weight loss program should incorporate a balance between proteins, fats, vitamins, and carbs. Eliminating entire foods groups or eating excessive amounts of certain foods can lead to severe health problems.
- Flexibility – an effective diet for weight loss should not forbid you from consuming certain foods entirely. A flexible weight loss plan is the one that includes adequate portions of fruit, vegetables, nuts, lean protein, seeds, whole grains, and low-fat dairy products. It should also allow you to occasionally indulge in your favorites, but within reasonable limits. It should also contain locally available and affordable products. More importantly, it should limit your daily calorie intake by discouraging sugary foods/beverages and alcohol.
- Physical activity – this cannot be emphasized enough. Combining exercise with reduced calorie intake is the perfect weight loss formula.
- Personal appeal – the entire plan designed to help you shed body fat should be likeable to you. A diet for weight loss should include products that you lie eating, not those that you tolerate. Otherwise, it will not be sustainable in the long term since you might get bored.
Look out for red flags in weight loss programs
Be wary of certain weight loss plans in 2019, including;
- Those that purport to help you lose significant weight in a short period (like lose 35 pounds in 20 days)
- plans that do not include exercise
- programs that encourage you to keep eating anything you want in whatever quantities you want
- those that allege to help you lose weight in only one part of your body.
Red flags in weight loss programs may also take the form of;
- personal endorsements – these might be made up
- too-good-to-be-true before and after pictures
- fine print, footnotes, and asterisks – they may be designed to conceal certain crucial information